About this blog

Accessible legal tips, know-how and news for anyone with a complaint or legal issue from Stephen Gold, author of The Return of Breaking Law, the book

Monday 20 April 2020

Help With Court Fees

There's no such thing as a free lunch and there's no such thing as a civil or family court case without a prescribed fee to pay. That's the general position. But if you are on benefits or haven't got too much income or capital sprouting out of your purse or  back pocket then you are could well qualify for 'Help with fees' or, to use the scheme's fancy name, fee remission (see Breaking Law at chapter 13). This could mean no fee for you or a reduced fee. If you want to apply for this help or for a refund of a fee you have paid within the last three months 'cos you didn't know anything about the help scheme, then you have to do what? Fill out a form, of course. And the form has just changed.

The necessary form is called the EX160. Good name, eh? Well, it could have been called HARDUP126BBBZAQ which would have been an awful name. To find the form and the official guidance about the help scheme, go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-help-with-court-and-tribunal-fees?utm_source=68d8a5b0-cfd5-4db7-950c-a1c61e5f04b5&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

Got there? Among the changes in the form are questions about whether not only you but your partner have any children living with you and whether you and your partner have any other children that you support financially. Children means persons under 16 and up to 19 if in full-time education. If that information was not before the court when you made an unsuccessful application for help then you might care to ask for a refund if it would have made a difference. 

Make sure you use the new form.