About this blog

Accessible legal tips, know-how and news for anyone with a complaint or legal issue from Stephen Gold, author of The Return of Breaking Law, the book

Tuesday 1 November 2016


In the most unlikely event that you reckon the judge got it wrong, you can have a go at appealing their decision although you will almost always need permission from the court to do this. There have been recent changes on the identity of the  higher court to which an appeal now goes and from where you try and get that magic permission (see my posts on appeals in civil cases and appeals in family cases). Generally, the appeal will be destined for one judicial step up the judicial ladder at a time.

Procedural changes like this inevitably mean this blasted thing. New court forms? And so it is. In family cases, the notice of appeal form FP161 along will certain other forms changed on 3 October 2016 and, as from yesterday, certain amended civil forms were introduced including the notice of appeal in form N161 and the guidance notes to go with it in form N161A. The existing forms on hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk will be updated within the next few days.